India is a country with a myriad of faiths and beliefs belonging to different religions and communities. With this faith have emerged many pilgrimage places that have significance rooted deep in the history of Indian civilization. These places are not just symbols of religion; they are also a symbol of peace and spirituality. Here are a few places in India that you can visit and sense divinity:
- Vaishno Devi Temple, Jammu: Visited by about 10 million pilgrims every year, Vaishno Devi temple is considered as one of the holiest places in India. Believed to grant all the wishes, people from all over the world complete a 14 km trek to reach the temple situated on the Trikuta mountain in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Sidhivinayak Temple, Mumbai: Dedicated to Lord Ganesha, this temple was originally built in 1801. Situated in Mumbai, Siddhivinayak Temple has visitors coming from all across the country. Siddhivinayak is one of the manifestations of Lord Ganesha and is known to grant every wish of yours.
- Ajmer Sharif: One of the most popular pilgrim places in India, Ajmer Sharif has its glory spread through all religions. Ajmer Sharif bears the grave of Khwaja Moin-ud-din Chishti, the great Sufi Saint who came to India from Persia in the 1200’s.
- Harmandir Sahib, Amritsar: Popularly known as Golden Temple, Harmandir Sahib is a holy pilgrimage place for the Sikhs. This Gurdwara is a symbol of Sikh philosophy. It is here that the holy book of the Sikhs, Guru Granth Sahib, has been installed. Visited by people belonging to all religions, Golden Temple is the symbol of peace, veneration and tolerance.
- Basilica of Bom Jesus, Goa: this is the church that has been declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO and it is a very peaceful landmark of Christianity. The church bears the body of St. Francis Xavier, a saint who preached Christainity and founded Society of Jesus. It is said that the saint had healing powers. Christians and non-Christians from all over the world come here and pay their visit to the great saint.
- Bodhgaya, Bihar: This place is one of the most sacred places of the world for the Buddhists. It is here that Gautam Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, found enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree. There are many Buddhist temples in Bodhgaya that one could visit.
- Tirupati Balaji: Dedicated to Lord Venkateshwara, Tirupati Balaji is one of the richest pilgrimage sites in the entire world. It is also the second most visited pilgrimage of the world after the Vatican. Built in the Dravidian style of architecture, this temple is a must visit if you are on a tour to South India.
- Badrinath: Situated about 12,000 ft above the sea-level, this temple was built by Adi Shankaracharya and was dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Situated on the Banks of River Ganga, and mountains all around the temple, the pilgrims feel peace and tranquillity here. One could feel the presence of higher power here.
It is because of these places that India has still stuck to its faiths and beliefs. Tourists from all over the country come here to connect with their inner self and feel at peace.